Sunday, July 6, 2014

Author Interview With Priscilla Whitaker

Hi Priscilla!

Destiny,
Thanks for taking the time to interview me.  First, thanks for taking the time to read my book.  I think it is fantastic that I am being interviewed by a children’s book character.

What inspired you to write your first book?

It really happened by accident.  I was taking walks around my pond every morning with my neighbors.  This beautiful bird would fly and land three to six feet away from us.  I didn’t know what kind of bird he was at first.  I started learning everything I could about him and then I wrote a story for the little girls I babysit.  When other people saw my pictures and read my story they encouraged me to get my book published.

When did you start considering yourself a writer?

I have a hard time viewing myself as an author or photographer. 

What are you working on next?

Currently, I am not working on a new book.  I still take a lot of pictures and think about different ideas.  I just haven’t decided on anything new at this time.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

My best advice is that you really must enjoy what you are writing about.  How can you expect someone to like your book if you don’t like it?  Next, have a really nice book cover because that is the first thing anyone will see.  Also, be willing to go to schools and libraries to read to children.

What was your favourite book when you were a kid?

My favorite book growing up was “Ferdinand the Bull”.  I just loved how he was sent into a bull fight because they thought he was fierce.  Instead, he was a gentle giant and he was returned home safely to his field of flowers.  

Anything you would like to add?

I truly love my life!  I babysit two wonderful little girls.  (They must be a lot like you and Faith.)  My favorite part about being an author is visiting schools and reading to children.  I also love meeting other authors.  I spend a lot of time outside working in my garden or chasing critters with my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment