Sunday, April 20, 2014

Interview With G. Eric Francis

And now meet chicken-loving author

G. Eric Francis

Image of G. Eric Francis

What inspired you to write your first book?

I have been writing since I was 8 years old.  When it comes to the first book, “A Prayer For The Dying”, it was based on stories that I wrote when i was in college, which in turn was based on an old friend who went into law enforcement.  I originally planned to write a screenplay, but once I got out of college , things sort of went dry for about a decade and a half.  While at work one day, the memory of those old stories came back, and I just started typing between working.  The rest just sort of took care of itself.

When did you start considering yourself a writer?

Since the day I put pen to paper…:)
Out of the books you've written, which is your favourite?

8 months ago, I would have said “Prayer.”  But I have had so much fun with “Cluck The Undercover Chicken” I have to say it’s more personal, since it is based on stories I told my son.  That, and the fact that I feel the book can appeal to folks of all ages, as that “Prayer” is for an adult audience.
How do you feel about being interviewed by a children's book character? (That's me, Destiny!)

Well, the wonderful thing about talking to someone who can, well, literally be anything they like (only limited by the imagination) is that you don’t have the flaws that we humans have.  It makes it easy to say what is on your mind and be comfortable about it.

What are you working on next?

Well, that depends.  I have 3 books that are being worked on; hopefully the 2nd book of Cluck’s adventures, another a baseball story for young people, and a sequel to my first “Prayer” book.

Can you share a little of your current work with us?

Well, I can say this.  Cluck is one of the most arrogant characters I’ve ever come up with.  In his first book, thinking that he knows everything (especially when he goes against his latest adversary, “The Fan”) gets him literally in hot water…or oil, in this case.  Being a chicken, that isn’t a good thing…:)

Out of your own characters, do you have a favourite?

Well, it used to be the main character in my first book, Dionne Richards.  But I think Cluck is quickly catching up.  He’s the great “Antihero”; a character you don’t like per se, but you can’t help rooting for because you know he’s basically good.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

3 Words…Write, Write, Right!

What do you do when you are not writing?

I try to do the best for my boys, especially my youngest, who has special needs (Down Syndrome and Autism).  There are times things are rough because of his lot in life, so being his Dad is truly a full time job.  I hope that my writing will allow me to be a full time stay at home dad so I can be there for him.  In the meanwhile, besides working for a living like everyone else, I collect a copious amount of music, enjoy sports, and I am a decent cook.

If you had to live in one of your books which book would it be?

Ah…well, as I always wanted to be an action star, I think I would have to be “Prayer."

What was your favourite book when you were a kid?

You are going to laugh…I didn’t necessarily have one.  I mean, I read plenty of sci-fi books (especially spinoffs of either the “Star Wars” or “Star Trek” Universe).  But my big thing was anything mythology.  I received this huge volume of Roman and Greek Mythology when I was a kid, and I read that over and over again.  Absolutely loved it.  Oh, and this kid’s version of the Bible with illustrations that my grandparents had…loved those as well.

Anything you would like to add?

I wanted to share this with your readers.  I have so many ideas floating in my head, and I am particularly excited about continuing the “Cluck” series.  But I can’t do that without your support.  I am a writer that depends on folks to read his work as much as I depend on air to breathe.  So I hope you check “Cluck” out; with you he has a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment